PM20s (fine pollution particles) England and WA
– in England air pollution is killing 10,000 people a year
– of 12 nitrogen oxide monitoring sites, 10 exceeded the World Health Organization limits
– 1 in every sixteen people in these areas suffers from asthma, almost 17,000 people, not directly related to PM10s,but they do contribute to problems
U.S. and the Clean Air Act
– poor air is responsible for 40,000 hospital visits from children per year
– poor air also causes 40,000 premature deaths per year
– Clinton will make the restriction on ozone from 1979s .12 ppm to .08 ppm
– Particle matter will be reduced from 10 microns to 2.
5 microns (a hair is about 70 microns, so these are tiny particles that can travel deep into the lungs
– The cost to industries to better filter their air pollution is about $8.5 million, if they would spend that it would save U.S. taxpayers $120 billion including saving lives and medical costs
Chinas Terrible Air Conditions
– China burns soft coal 95% of the time, which produces much more pollution than hard coal
– China burns 28 million tons per year of soft coal, most of it during the winter, when the air is the worst
– Chinese cities varied from 32-741 micrograms of TSP (total suspended particles) compared to the average of most cities that had an average of 200 micrograms
– Most of the pollution is from the north in the winter which SO2 levels in urban areas were from 3-245 microns when the entire national average was only 45 microns, the norths total average was 49 microns
-Projected outlook for the air in the future
– The laws on air pollution will definitely toughen up, which in the US and most other countries will help it to go down. However, there are many countries that can maybe not afford to do things to keep up with these regulations. A lot of the concern with improving the air quality goes along with auto emissions.
They are projected to decrease from 300 tons a day down to 150 from 1990 to and 1999 and decrease a little from there, so the outlook is good for the US. Many other countries. But there is concern for china who need to provide many with power and that they need to do it in a cheap way and they may not be able to afford things to better purify emissions. .