In the recent past, the gun control debate has been featured extensively in the mainstream media. But the issue is not new to us. After some unfortunate events, we all are now talking about the issue, and some of us have formulated opinions regarding the issue. There have been a lot of heated arguments.
With some effort, you can write an essay on gun control. You might have your own opinion about gun ownership, and you need to state your position about the issue. Maybe you have even read some papers on the topic. And if you are really interested in the topic, you will not find writing an essay on firearms control difficult. You will also easily make it catchy. In this post, we are going to provide you with everything you need to write a gun control essay.
Steps in writing a gun control essayOrder now
If you are not properly organized, you may find it a bit difficult to write a gun control essay. You need some proper planning and research if you want to write a gun control essay, focusing on cause and effect, compare and contract, persuasion, or arguments. To write a good essay on gun control and present some facts, you can follow these steps:
- Your essay can be expository, argumentative or research-based, but at the beginning of your essay, you must give a definition of what firearms control really is. Use a precise and catchy definition. You may come up with a few definitions, but consider writing the one that suits your essay. It is a good idea to provide a dictionary definition. You can also present some facts about some types of firearms. Then you can add some statistics on gun ownership and show reasons why people own firearms.
- Then you have to work on the body. In this section, present some facts on the topic to make it catchy. To make this section informative, you can read relevant papers. Your in-depth research will make the essay stand out. Here are some ideas:
- Many studies have been conducted on the topic, and you can use them in your essay on gun control. It is also a good idea to incorporate statistics found in study papers on firearms control. Facts can add gravity to your essay.
- If you are a supporter of firearms control, use studies or statistics that show how firearms owners have caused massacres. Students have sometimes used guns to commit crimes. You can show those examples to support your arguments.
- If your position is against it, cite studies that show how gun ownership can save lives. Focus on the positive effects of owning firearms. Make sure your facts are ready once you have started writing.
But keep in mind that nothing is set in stone. The tone of your essay will determine the organization and content of your gun control essay. You will be able to create a great argument in your essay on this topic by arranging the facts in a nice way while keeping the facts such as statistics as they are. Use reliable papers.
- The third step involves writing a good conclusion. In this section, you can summarize the essay and highlight the main parts. To write a good conclusion, you can give a good statement. Make sure that the statement is factual. You can present your suggestions and findings if you are not writing an argumentative essay. But your arguments should be based on facts.
Titles and ideas for essays on gun control
A catchy title can make your gun control essay stand out. Your title must be able to express your standpoint and hook your reader. Take a look at the examples.
Titles for pro-gun control essays
- Yes, firearms bring violence
- Would you allow wrong people to get guns?
- Revise the second amendment and prevent tragedies
- Gun control and the second amendment can coexist
- Self-defense or deadly force?
Titles for anti-gun control essays
- Gun control will not solve the problem—education will
- Gun control does not address the root cause of the problem
- Mass media has made a murderer famous
- Gun control laws are not for criminals
- The gun control phenomenon is based on emotion, not logic
Pros and Cons of Gun Control
In recent years, the pros and cons of gun control have been thoroughly discussed and analyzed. Advocates of firearms control show statistics and claim that firearms owners have killed many innocent people. On the other hand, opponents say that guns actually help reduce violence. Both parties stick to their positions, and the issue is still unresolved. Below are some pros and cons of firearms control that you can use in writing your gun control essay.
- Only 5% of the world’s total population lives in the United States, but this small segment of people own 50% of all firearms in the world.
- Every year, many people in the United States are killed in gun violence. In fact, the number of arms-related deaths in this country has been ranked below South Africa.
- People who do not need dangerous firearms can purchase them. In the UnitedStates, if you are a private seller, you can sell a firearm to another US resident who is unlicensed. This is really a loophole.
- No confiscation is required for gun control. In the United States, people have a right to bear arms. In fact, that is why the handgun restriction laws have been struck down by the US Supreme court.
- Accidental injuries can be reduced by gun control. Every year, unintentional shootings kill a lot of people. Firearms cause more than 30% of unintentional deaths. If there are fewer firearms, these rates will drop.
- Democracy is all about freedom. In a democratic country, people should be allowed to save their lives. So, gun control does not go with the principle of democracy. When people are attacked by others, they need something to protect themselves. Statistics indicate that if gun ownership is not controlled, it may lead to crime and anarchy. Gun control does not want to prevent destructive arms control, it wants to prevent anarchy.
- The Second Amendment allows people to own arms. So, to control gun ownership is to restrict the amendment. But we should also remember the fact that the second amendment was based on the information of the people who had no college degree. Needless to say, these people did not have any knowledge of legal procedures. And, like other rights, this right can also be restricted. After all, this restriction and modification are for the benefit of the common people.
- It may create a black market. Firearms control legislators are in fact creating loops for legal owners. There will always be people to circumvent laws and steal firearms.
- Firearms control laws can reduce firearms violence, but other weapons are still being used to commit serious crimes. Vehicle attacks, knife attacks, and explosives can also cause massacres. So, it can not be hoped that people will change if there are fewer arms.
- When it comes to gun-related deaths, suicides outnumber homicides. Every year, firearms kill about 10000 people in the United States, and nearly 7000 of them are suicides. So, gun-related deaths have something to do with mental health. These are facts. And there is no debate on these issues.
- People can overcome the fear of guns by getting familiar with them. Most people fear guns because they don’t understand them. But if people understand them, they can use arms just as tools. Being around a gun is not a scary experience if you know how to use it responsibly.
To write an amazing essay on gun control, you will need some time and effort. Research is also very important. Make sure your essay on gun control does not have spelling mistakes or poor sentence structures. After you have finished writing your essay, revise it to check avoidable errors.