Industrial design is a branch of projection, an area of artistic and technical activity. Its goal is to define the formal qualities of technical goods, namely their functional and external qualities.
Industrial Design Development
The first designers in the industrial area appeared in England in the 18th century. This is due to the activities of Jazzin Wedgewood and the development of technical fabric manufacturing. Industrial projection began its development after the end of the Second World War. In the 60’s, this direction became popular in the US, and the Industrial Design College was organized. In 1969, a member of this collegium gave a voluminous definition of this concept as “creative activity aimed at improving the external merits of objects produced in industry.”
Stages of Project’s Realization
· Generating an idea;
· Conceptual study;
· Three-dimensional modeling;
What Do Industrial Designers Do?
Industrial projection, as a kind of activity, includes elements of art, marketing, and technology. It covers the widest range of objects, from small knickknacks to high-tech, science-intensive goods. Technical designers can be attributed to such professions as engineers, mechanics, and artists. They do not create drawings and are not responsible for the efficiency of inventions; they optimize inventions, trying to portray it as more expensive and beautiful than it is.
Importance of Industrial Projection for the Consumer
The commercial success of any product depends to a large extent on its projection. There are five tasks that a technical projection is able to solve.
1. Ease of use of the product. First of all, it is connected with the user interface, which should be safe, and as simple and intuitive as possible. Usability can also be extremely important, both for simple goods and for products with a large number of types of interaction.
2. Serviceability. This parameter is extremely important for goods that need frequent maintenance or repair. Product details should carry information about the procedures necessary for maintenance, although ideally, the developers are trying to completely eliminate the need for it.
3. External qualities of the product. An attractive good is associated with a high fashion and image, and, moreover, is able to cause pride of owning it. This is one of the main goals that the designer should strive for in his work, and the most illustrative example here is the latest iPhone model. In addition, the technical projection promotes visual differentiation of the goods, this is especially important for goods with a stable market and technologies.
4. Work with the brand. The design of the product should inform the consumer about the philosophy and mission of the company. The attitude to the brand, liking for the image of the good of this manufacturer, serves as a kind of conditional constant for the consumer in choosing a product.
5. Reducing the cost of equipment and manufacturing. Functional features, materials used and other factors significantly affect the costs of product manufacturing. With the right choice of material, consideration of environmental and other factors, technical projection can save from significant economic unjustified infusions when creating a new product.